Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Border League finale

Race: Deeside 4m+ (border league race 6)
Time/Position: 24:28 (20th from 246)

The timing of this race, the climax of the season, was hardly ideal: three days after the marathon. Worse still, I'd already missed a race earlier in the season and therefore had to put in a decent performance if I was to stay in the top 10. Given all this, I was genuinely surprised to feel fine throughout. In fact, I felt a lot more comfortable than I usually do in the league. Presumably, this was a result of deliberately holding back in London: I'd felt none of the usual soreness after the marathon. It was a flat but twisty course around Deeside on a warm evening, the same route as 2008, obviously fast-paced from the start. I began conservatively and was expecting to tire, but gradually gained places to almost match my best ever Borders finish. I actually moved up a place to finish 9th senior male overall (124pts), one month before I move into the Vets.

No comments: