Sunday, April 25, 2010

London Marathon

Race: London Marathon
Time: 3:10:48 (1941/36000)

Had no real aspirations for my fourth London marathon. I knew I hadn't trained properly for a pb, so decided to hold back, enjoy it, and use it as a building block for an all-out pb attempt in Chester next month. This is exactly what I did in Paris two years ago (prior to sub-3 at Edinburgh), and it makes for a hugely enjoyable experience. I had a whale of a time here: my 5k splits were virtually identical throughout, which was pleasing. I was able to relax and enjoy the fantastic atmosphere, which seemed better than ever this year, and was particularly memorable around Greenwich, Canary Wharf (missed the family here though!) and the last few miles. Felt very comfortable throughout, although I did have to visit the toilet at mile 10, which lost me 90 seconds! Recovered quickly after the race, and was able to do a 10k bike ride early next morning, trying to loosen the legs before Wednesday's inconveniently-timed Border League finale.

No comments: