Monday, August 23, 2010

Craig y Tonnau climbs, Moelwyn run

Crag: Craig y Tonnau, Cwm Lledr
Routes: Robbin's Nest (S:sh), Dentist's Slab (S:sh), Central Crack (VD:sh), Robbin's Right Hand (S:sh), Robbin's Reliant (VD:sh)

Rain was forecast to sweep westwards over Snowdonia by 9am, so I left Ffestiniog alone at 7am intent on a few routes and a good run before it arrived. The drizzle started before I reached Blaenau, predictably enough, and was torrential by the top of the Crimea. However, I persisted because it was so early, and turned off at the Roman Bridge for Blaenau Dolwyddelan. A very soggy walk got me to Craig y Tonnau, which is a strange little crag of wavy granular rock above a conifer forest, and I shunted a few routes in light rain with occasional heavier bursts. As expected, the rock was so rough and juggy, and the climbing so easy, that the weather didn't matter. No real lines here, apart from the enjoyable Central Crack which ascends the eponymous feature on huge holds, but the climbing is pleasant and certainly a good choice this morning. After about 50 minutes and five routes, the rain became unpleasantly heavy so I jogged back to the car and changed into running gear. I ran at a decent pace (21m) up the forest roads to Llynnau Diwaunydd, a beautiful and isolated spot, one of the finest lakes in Eryri. I was tempted to continue up Siabod, as the rain had stopped, but opted to extend the outing by running further down the lower valley to Coed Mawr instead because I wanted to get home early (it was still before 10am).

No comments: