Monday, August 30, 2010

Moel Famau fell race

Race: Cilcain Mountain Race (5m/1237ft/AS)
Time/Position: 36:24 (10th from 179 [1st v40])

This was my seventh running of this long-established race. I certainly didn't think I'd ever be among the prizes when I was finishing 70th in 2003 or 87th in 2005 (although I did finish 8th in 2008). I was a bit lucky to win my category here, probably, but felt I put in a decent performance. The new course is a vast improvement on the old out-and-back route: no more collisions on the way down. The weather was perfect, with blue skies and tremendous clarity of light, although perhaps a little warm. I have never seen so many people watching a fell race, either, it almost felt like the atmosphere of an Alpine race as I arrived at the summit (a record for me - 20:50 from the village). I descended reasonably well, passing three and getting passed by two, and really enjoyed being able to open up a bit, feeling fairly sharp after recent speedwork and numerous short, fast races. The new route takes the Clwydian Hills race descent to emerge near the reservoir, and I managed to hold it together for the final climb back to the village. Pleased but rather surprised to be awarded the veteran's trophy at the showground later.

No comments: