Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Ponderosa fell race

Race: Ponderosa (4m/1000ft/BS)
Time/Position: 28:42 (12th from 120)

This was a much needed reality check. After six or so category wins this summer, a stronger competitive field on this race pushed me back down to my rightful place! I climbed quite well to the top of Cyrn y Brain in 10 minutes, but this race really doesn't give you any time to catch your breath: virtually an all-out (quite exhilerating) sprint from the mast down the narrow paths above Fron Lwyd. I picked a bad line through the bogs, lost a place, then lost another place on the final climb to the finish. The short final climb is always a desperate struggle, coming as it does at the end of a flat-out three mile descent! I beat my pb for the course by 20 seconds (my 3rd or 4th time in this race) but always tend to finish some way down the field.

No comments: