Saturday, July 09, 2011

Ahornspitze

Peaks: Ahornspitze (2976m/9764ft)
Area: Zillertal Alps, Tyrol, Austria

I had planned to do this on my last day (tomorrow morning) but decided to nip up it before my evening meal. This was probably not the wisest decision, as I'd already done the Hoher Riffler then walked part of the Berliner Hohenweg this morning, and then walked up to the Edel Hut (see previous entry). There was a logic to it, however, in that the weather was perfect and I did need plenty of time to get down in the morning. It's also an easy peak, although not quite as close to the hut as it looks. Shallow zigzags led up to a contouring path at an upper cwm. I managed to run a reasonable amount of this before slowing as I gained the main west ridge line (the Popbergschneide). I was now beginning to tire, bonking slightly, and had no water or food having left all my gear at the hut. So it was a bit of a struggle after a tough day, although I was inspired by the superb clarity of light and magnificent views south over the rest of the Zillertal. This morning's peak, the Hoher Riffler, looked big and distant, and the Grosser Loffler also impressed. The ridge is rather broken and shattered, with some scrambling, and I got to the top in just under an hour from the hut. There are two small summits, the one with the cross being clearly lower than the one requiring a brief scramble. I didn't spend long drinking in the stunning views, as I was in need of food. Ran down in 25 minutes or so, and refuelled with pleasure at the hut - which was as excellent and 'gemutlichkeit' as the rest had been.

No comments: