Thursday, July 28, 2011

Le Vernis climbing

Crag: Le Vernis, Oisans
Routes: Left Corner (f5:led), Left Slab (f3:led), Right Slab (f4:des), Upper Arete (f5:led)

After descending from the Galibier, we enjoyed a cup of tea in the sunshine before driving a few hundred metres to the crag I'd seen signposted at Le Vernis. The weather was pleasant as we walked the short distance to what was, as I'd hoped, an archetypal 'ecole d'escalade' perfect for the children with easy climbs and a level base. Lots of nice looking grooves, corners and slabs, all very well bolted on good, relatively unpolished granite. I led a short juggy groove on the left of the crag to begin, nice sharp holds throughout. M followed with one bolt grab on a juggy pull through a steep section half way up, E couldn't quite manage this move. They both managed the easy slab to the left, before a large group of instructors and youths arrived and commandeered the fine looking corners I had my eye on. This was my cue to try the higher crag, which unfortunately wasn't as good, although it was bigger and did have nice views across the valley. I did a slabby traverse to the obvious arete while the children made good progress up the arete itself. A heavy and prolonged evening downpour came too late to spoil the day's varied activities.

No comments: