Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Druid fell race

Race: The Druid (5m/1100ft)
Time/Position: 35:16 (5th from 123 [2nd V40])

Warm evening sunshine for this, my favourite of all the summer evening races. I missed it last year, so it was nice to be able to have a bash at the new course, which goes anticlockwise round the summit of Foel Fenlli before climbing the new steps to the top and heading down the narrow paths along the top of the 'fortifications'. I was a bit tired after my Alpine trip, indeed I'd abandoned a run yesterday exhausted, so was pleased to feel OK as we headed off from Llanferres. It's not the sort of race where you can relax much, so I just concentrated on running the whole way and trying to stay in the top five as soon as I made up the places. Unlike the earlier Hotfoot, gradients are generally gentler on this race, so it's important to keep the pace up through the woods and fields. I felt good on the climbs and managed to hold my position for the steep descent round the side of Fenlli and back through the woods to the edge of the village. Won the v40 prize though the third placed runner was also in the category.

No comments: