Saturday, July 09, 2011

Hoher Riffler

Peaks: Hoher Riffler (3231m/10600ft)
Routes: Sudwestgrat (uI)
Area: Zillertal Alps, Tyrol, Austria

A cold morning, with the weather clearly still unsettled as I left the hut at 7am. The Hoher Riffler is the most obvious objective from the Friesenberg Hut, and was the only 3000m peak without a cap of cloud as I jogged up to the vague col below the Peterskopl. I was pleased to feel relatively fresh, and was able to run for short sections. I missed the main route almost immediately as a result, and took the south ridge direct with good scrambling. The south ridge begins to narrow at a small col, with a snowfield, leading to good scrambling over boulders until the ridge narrows further and swings to the northeast. This gives a fine finish, far more enjoyable than the dull slog I'd half expected. The ridge is well defined, and drops steeply to the Schwarzbrunner glacier ('kees' locally) to the west. A snowy saddle leads up to the summit in around an hour: an ideal solo peak, impressive yet non-technical. Views a little limited due to low cloud over the highest peaks, but it began to clear as I descended. I had breakfast high on the ridge, but out of the cold wind, and enjoyed a wonderful break with tremendous views over the nearby Gefrorne Wand, Fusstein and Olperer, as well as the other high peaks to the east. An easy descent led back to the hut, after which I decided to extend the day by heading over to the Olperer hut for lunch (I didn't have enough carbs last night, despite Bergsteigeressen and a large wedge of Strudel, and was starting to suffer for it). Steep zigzags led above the lake to superb views back over the Hoher Riffler, which is quite impressive and pyramidal from this angle. There followed a magnificent high level promenade, heading south on the Berliner Hohenweg, virtually level along the 2500m contour with continually improving views as the sun broke through and the high peaks began to clear. By the time I arrived at the Olperer hut just before midday, all the peaks were clear. I enjoyed a memorable break on the terrace, with noodle soup and wurst, gazing out at the glaciated Hochfeiler and Grosser Moseler. A steep descent along the banks of the Riepenbach stream led back to the lake and car after a superb morning. I then drove to Mayrhofen and got straight onto the Ahornbahn cable car, keen to see a different part of the Zillertal in the time I had left. I certainly felt I was maximising my time as I headed up from the top cable station across to the Edel Hut. I felt a little tired on this walk in, not surprisingly, but it was still good with fine views up to the Ahornspitze and down to Mayrhofen. After booking in and enjoying a beer on the terrace, the weather became superbly clear - so much so that I started to get tempted to nip up the Ahornspitze rather than wait for the morning as planned. But that seems to warrant a separate entry!

No comments: