Saturday, July 23, 2011

Snowdon Race

Race: Ras yr Wyddfa/International Snowdon Race (10m/3065ft/AM)
Time/Position: 1:22:57 (54th from 500 [3rd V40])

A rare opportunity to do this blue-riband event, comfortably the biggest race on the Welsh fell running calendar. I'm normally away on holiday and have only done it once before (2007), so it was a chance to record a quicker time, particularly as conditions were good. An ideal family event with a great atmosphere, albeit rather commercial and closer to that of a city marathon than a normal fell race. I climbed reasonably cautiously but set a good rhythm and began to pick up places around Allt Moses and felt uncharacteristically strong emerging from the two steepest sections above Cwm Hetiau. The mist was down, and the cold air gave a further boost as I gained the summit in 53:55. This race is notorious for its descent accidents, and I was very conscious of my cycling trip to the Alps next week: the last thing I wanted was any leg damage! So I was perhaps a little cautious on the very fast initialy descent down past Clogwyn but held my place well and managed to pick up a couple of runners lower down, feeling quite good throughout and finishing strongly (by my standards) on the tarmac. My descent to Electric Mountain took 29 minutes exactly. Finished way down the field, which was inevitably very strong and international in character. That said, I also squeezed into the prizes as 3rd V40, which was a nice way to temporarily conclude the running whilst I take to the bike for some serious action in the Alps next week.

No comments: