Sunday, July 10, 2011

Toreggenkopf

Peaks: Toreggenkopf (2470m/8103ft)
Area: Zillertal Alps, Tyrol, Austria

Having done the Ahornspitze the night before, there wasn't much left for me to do from the Edel hut in the time I had left. But I spied a perfect brief opportunity in the shape of the Toreggenkopf, which is essentially a small pyramid at the top of the spur which leads down from the west ridge of the Ahornspitze and continues around the rim of the cwm almost to the cable car station. I walked out into the early morning mist (perhaps proving that last evening's tiring romp up the Ahornspitze in perfect weather was not as foolish as it seemed at the time), which gradually began to lift as I ran up the path towards the Kasselhutte. This leads to a series of chains and very mild scrambling up the headwall to gain a small col. The route then follows a delightful narrow grassy ridge to the summit - all too brief. The mist was beginning to peel away from the Ahornspitze as I began the descent. This descent was what I'd been looking forward to: nearly 2000m straight down to Mayrhofen. I had no need to conserve energy any more so decided to run the entire length of it, from the Toreggenkopf to my car in the middle of Mayrhofen, ears popping continually. The low cloud enveloped the first section past the Edel hut, but made it cooler and easier, through herds of cattle with bells clanging through the mist. It then heads more steeply and directly down zigzags to enter the treeline. Excellent running down good tracks pick up a farm track and eventually the ludicrously picturesque Alpenrose hut. From here, more beautiful Alpine woods - decorated with carved woodland animals - led to steep zigzags and the road to Mayrhofen. I ran the whole way, but it still took nearly 1:45 from summit to town. I was then finally able to relax with my first coffee for four days, and curd strudel, before driving to Kufstein and Munich.

No comments: