Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Dalmally peaks

Peaks: Beinn a'Chochuill (980m), Beinn Eunaich (989m)
Area: Glen Strae, Central Highlands
Completely overshadowed by neighbouring Ben Cruachan, these peaks nevertheless give an enjoyable and very runnable outing. They made an obvious pre-breakfast target from our Taynuilt cottage, and I got back before 10am. I'd already done Ben Cruachan in 2005, and although we had wonderful ever-changing views of it and the Taynuilt Peak from our front room window, I thought it better to tread new ground. A short drive from the cottage meant it was only 7.30am as I set off on the long and gradually inclining track which makes for fast running above the Allt Mhoille towards the head of the valley. After 4 or 5k, a very tenuous path heads steeply up the vague SE ridge of Beinn a'Chochuill. Surprisingly windy and cold as I gained the main ridge - with obvious 'weather' approaching. Yes, I was getting the worst of the day's conditions again. I pelted along the superbly runnable ridge to the summit (58m from the road), and its famously excellent views of Ben Cruachan, keen to get them before the weather closed in. I did so, and was not disappointed - the entire massif, one of Scotland's finest, in perfect detail and complete with quite a bit of old snow in the gullies. More fabulous running back down the ridge to a steeper descent and good views over to Ben Starav and the Blackmount. Inevitably, the weather closed in for my ascent of Beinn Eunaich although the rain stayed fairly light. I took a bearing from the summit and ran flat out down the south ridge to Stob Maol and a steep descent back to the valley (2:28 in total). Back, as planned, in time for breakfast.

No comments: