Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Thurstaston MT race

Race: Thurstaston Multi-Terrain Challenge (6m)
Time/Position: 37.09 (11th from 121 [3rd V40])
A disastrous pacing error saw me blow up completely half way along the horribly long bridleway leading to the finish. I had to walk for a while on the fields as several chasers flew past: desperately unpleasant, particularly as I normally pride myself on my (slow) pacing. This part of the Wirral was almost Hebridean-feeling this evening, as the sun set over the Dee estuary and the Welsh hills beyond. Beautiful weather and a great race, with superb running along the beach for 1.5 miles: I was feeling quite good for this section, and was up in 6th place as we left the sand and headed up twisting roads to the woodland. I started to struggle a bit on the little paths through the trees, then lost it completely on the very long, very straight bridleway that leads to the finish at the visitor centre. Obviously went off too fast, or perhaps feeling the effects of over-racing (four races in ten days).

No comments: