Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Dinas Bran hill race

Race: Dinas Bran hill race (4.5m/1200ft)
Time/Position: 32m (4th from 50)
Over 11 years since I first did this race, and the second 'lap' doesn't get any easier. I vividly remember my shock in 2003 when I realised we had to climb Dinas Bran twice. It's actually a very short climb, but my girth was maybe a bit wider in those days. Today, a small field set off round the school then headed up the very steep metalled road to the open hill. I kept it going at a very slow pace and found myself in third with (seemingly) nobody close behind. The route takes the lovely wooded path on the far side of Dinas Bran then climbs the steepest slopes to the ruined castle. From here, a quick zigzag descent led to the second lap. At the bottom of this, I was overtaken almost silently by another runner. I stayed with him for the second lap, but he pulled away on the climb and I couldn't quite catch him on the descent (five minutes from the top to the school?). A chilly evening, with a spot of rain at times.

No comments: