Tuesday, August 04, 2015

Dartmoor run

Peaks: Yes Tor (2031ft), High Willhays (2039ft)
Area: Dartmoor, Devon
From our motel in Stourton, you could see the western fringe of Dartmoor with the highest hills. So before an evening trip to Okehampton for fish and chips, I nipped up to the highpoint of High Willhays from below Meldon. I treated it as a speed session, contouring the lower Roundstone Hill to pick up a diagonal track leading to a tussocky climb direct to the very windy summit of High Willhays. Nobody around at all in the early evening. I ran across to Yes Tor, the 'roof of Devon' and enjoyed a few minutes bouldering on the tors. Then a winding and circuitous descent, really excellent running, over the top of Roundstone Hill down to the shores of Meldon reservoir and fast running back to the car park. The highest English land south of Kinder Scout, it resembles the Peak District in some ways but in general I found Dartmoor to be more pleasant - perhaps it's just the lack of familiarity as this was my first ever visit. Next morning I had another nice run from our motel to Lydford Gorge where I joined the family for the full circuit past the waterfall.

No comments: