Sunday, August 16, 2015

Flintshire traverse

Road Cycling: Higher Kinnerton-Buckley-Sychdyn-Halkyn-Rhes y Cae-Lixwm-Babell-Caerwys-Tremeirchion-St Asaph
Distance: 60k
A more refined and geographically accurate version of the Flintshire end-to-end route I did a fortnight ago. Now I just need to weave the two together for a logical and elegant Tour de Flintshire. As I cycled inland from Sychdyn, I racked the darkest recesses of my brain to remember the layout of these tiny lanes which used to be my training ground when I lived in the village. This worked, just, and I emerged in Rhosesmor in beautiful sunshine after a series of very sharp climbs which brought back memories of tough runs. From here, I did a loop round Moel y Gaer, then down to Halkyn and along a superb moorland road to Rhes y Cae. We used to sledge here: great views and a very interesting post-industrial landscape. From here, the hinterland is characterised by a series of twisting and hard-to-follow lanes. I had no map, so guessed the onward route through Lixwm and Babell. From here, a lengthy diversion to Cilcain down tiny rutted tracks and onwards to Tremeirchion. Then a fast and enjoyable descent to St Asaph for lunch.

No comments: