Tuesday, September 07, 2021

Offa's Dyke, day 6 (Forden-Llangollen)

I don't think the landlady at the Railway Inn believed me when I told her where I was heading, as she struggled to believe I'd come from Knighton the day before. A long day was in store, so after a full breakfast I headed out into a misty Powys morning, jogging on minor roads to Buttington via Leighton, looking across to Powis Casrle. This was a mild cheat, missing out the OD section on Beacon Hill. Given I had 60k to go, I felt this justified and indeed crucial (and I have done the section before). OD is gained before Buttington anyway, and then the 'red bridge' is crossed below Welshpool until gaining the flat floodplain of the Severn. This is probably the dullest section of the entire OD path, but it is still pleasant and a nice interlude allowing for rapid progress. I ran short sections (as I did through Leighton). Fields give way to a nice section along the canal - beautiful shade as the mist dissipated and the heat built again, with lovely willows overhanging the water. At Pool Quay, the busy road is crossed again to gain the embankment above the Severn with the Breidden Hills rising above. I have fond memories of winning the veterans prize on the race there in 2011. A huge quarry scars the western slopes, which is quite noisy and takes a lot away from the peace on this section. After a few confusing fields and changes of direction to follow the dyke, I eventually gained the lanes leading to Four Crosses and a Londis for some food. I sat on a bank in the shade, then embarked on the very annoying but necessary loop to Llanymynech. The main road is very busy and out of the question, but the detour heads away from the crags on Llanymynech hill which I was using as a target (and where I have done a few routes). The canal was lovely again, however, and does finally lead to town where I had a huge sandwich at a cafe before embarking on the climb (the first major climb of the day) up Llanymynech Hill towards the crags and round the golf course. This was wooded and gave nice shade, before it contours west and drops down to Porth y Waen and the villages of the Oswestry hinterland, a nice part of the world and classic borderland. Then came another little straightening of the official OD path - straight up the lane to Treflach and Trefonen, passing below Mynydd Myfyr (where there is a fell race). The lane was not pleasant, but got me to the shop in Trefonen for another feed and drink. I regained OD, then really enjoyed the next section with views down to the Morda valley and over towards Rhydycroesau before gaining Candy Wood. I ran this section (to Bronygarth) in reverse last year, and it is one of my favourites, over the old racecourse with the sun dropping, before the tranquil and beautiful section (all along the dyke itself) over Selattyn Hill, to tiny hidden valleys like Craig Nant and Bronygarth. Although I was tired, this was one of the best sections of all, as it was often the evening light and early morning light that rendered sections of the landscape along the Dyke particularly magical. I was feeling OK, and descended down the steep slopes to Castle Mill before embarking on the big final climb crossing the border west of Chirk Castle before eventually picking up the Llwybr Dyffryn Ceiriog. This winds its way up lonely lanes to the hills above the Vale of Llangollen to cross the Llangollen Round route and then descend by the Monk's Path. This was truly magical, as the sun set over Gamelin and Berwyn - the vale bathed in soft orange light. I got to the hostel in Llangollen as it got dark - 57.3km/1212m.

No comments: