Sunday, September 12, 2021

Sandstone Trail

Race: Sandstone Trail 'A' Race (17.5m/2000ft)
Time/Position: 2.29.45 (34th from 330 [3rd V50])
It's been a while since I made a major error on a race. The Black Mountains in 2014 always comes to mind as a particularly annoying example. My chances today were ruined as I, along with two others, followed the two leading ladies right down the road to Tilston at the half way point beyond Beeston - at least a mile, at least 10 minutes lost, and many places lost. In the blind heat of racing, you don't think much, especially on a race like this where you are following signs rather than navigating in the mountains. But it was all rather ironic after OD, very annoying and pretty silly of me. I've done this race before too, although not for 13 or 14 years! However, I did the full 33m ultra version much more recently so really should have remembered the route. I do know a lot of the route well, and really like the first section over Bickerton Hill. Our group of four got the bus from Delamere, and really enjoyed the first climb in perfect conditions - cool, cloudy and still. The route then curves round via Rawhead, another hill, and I had a full speed fall on the descent from this (a nettle patch broke my fall!). Then over familiar paths above the Pheasant and down to Beeston. The route then flattens out considerably, and we made the critical error shortly afterwards. Following this, there seemed little point racing properly so I just focused on keeping a decent pace ticking over and at least using the extra distance (I covered almost 30k/18.5m) as good London training. There is a painful sting in the tail near Kelsall, after which it started to rain lightly for the finish. I'm not sure how many places I lost with the detour, but it was a lot - and at least 10 minutes. This completes one of my biggest ever weeks for mileage, albeit with a good deal of walking: 190km/5450m.

No comments: