Wednesday, September 08, 2021

Offa's Dyke, day 7 (Llangollen-Rhuallt-Prestatyn)

The big final push to complete Offa's Dyke within a week. It didn't quite work out the way I'd planned, but that didn't matter too much in the end. Unlike most of the rest of the trail, I was now very much on home turf and knew every inch of the route intimately (particularly Llangollen to Bodfari). I knew another big day was in store, of course, but trusted my local knowledge to a certain extent. After an inadequate breakfast (and a chicken kebab late last night!), I plodded through town and up very familiar lanes towards Dinbren and the crags. Then comes the best path in NE Wales (descended at pace just two weeks ago on the Llangollen fell race). I always love this section of OD, as it embarks on its long traverse below the crags with great views down the verdant valleys around Pentredwr and up towards Berwyn. I set a decent shuffling pace and thoroughly enjoyed it, as I always do. From World's End, the steep tarmac climb leads to the new flagstones across the moor to the Llandegla forest. I met four men here, doing OD in sections, and was to see them again later in the day. I was going quite well at this point, all very familiar territory. The descent through the forest is steep and rough, but a break at Llandegla shop was planned - almost as crucial as it was for my 'big link' lockdown ultra in February. I had a pastie and drinks before setting out into the Clwydians. There was a welcome breeze on this section, although it was another cloudless late summer day with dehydration already a problem at this early stage. The crossing of the Clwydians from Llandegla to Bodfari is normally no problem, just a long run, but today - primarily walking, and tired - it all took a very long time. I began to slow over Moel y Plas and struggled down to Clwyd Gate where the fatigue began to bite. I revived a bit over the shoulder of Fenlli but had drunk all my remaining water by Bwlch Penbarras. Still a long haul to Bodfari but luckily I was able to call mum and dad to tell them I was taking too long for our planned lunch meet. This prospect helped a lot for the very long walk over Dywyll down to Moel Arthur - normally a quick, easy and enjoyable run for me. Over Arthur and down to the car park where mum and dad were waiting with a superb refuelling platter. By now it was 3pm and it was looking less and less likely that I'd make Prestatyn. I set off for Pen y Cloddiau fairly optimistic, however, and fully refuelled. But again the descent to Bodfari from the top of PyC is lengthy when you are moving slowly. By Bodfari my chances seemed slim as I was slowing considerably. I took the direct route through Tremeirchion as the clouds gathered (a front was coming in). These lanes have lovely views over St Asaph and the Vale of Clwyd, home ground after coming all the way from Chepstow (or Knighton 50 hours ago anyway!). I ran out of steam at Tremeirchion and I arranged to meet M in Rhuallt. That evening, after another 50k day with a hefty 1850m of climbing, I realised I'd have to come back to finish the job so did so the next morning. It was an easy 12k from Rhuallt to the Offa's Dyke monument at the seafront in Prestatyn, taking 75 minutes or so, all very satisfying - let's call it 7.1 days in total. It started raining literally as I touched the monument next to the Irish Sea.

No comments: