Sunday, September 05, 2021

Village Bakery half marathon

Race: Village Bakery half marathon
Time/Position: 1.20.04 (72 from 442 [5th V50])
A return to this race around the edge of Wrexham after a few years away. I don't know how many times I've done it, but it's a lot, and my PB of 1.17 was set on this course in 2013. Minimum standard today was sub 1.20, which I failed to achieve by 4 seconds, and I was well down on the top 20 finishes I used to get at this race! That said, the standard has increased quite dramatically, and although I was only 5th V50 at the race the time still puts me 26th in the UK over 50 rankings (the same as my 5k ranking) which is quite pleasing. It was all going quite well - I was going for 6 minute mile pace and went through 10 miles in almost exactly an hour. But I began to crumble on Francis Lane, a long drag around the 11 mile mark (it is now a different course to the one I am familiar with) and lost a fair amount of time, which was a shame.

No comments: