Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Foel Fras

Peaks: Drum, Foel Fras
Area: Carneddau, Eryri
A quick blast from the car park below Bwlch y Ddaefaen to the top of Fras and back. A beautiful Spring morning, but with limited time after dropping Kate off I couldn't relax much so just went direct up to the bwlch and then the familiar Drosgl climb, always hard, before 'cutting the corner' to Drum. From here, the usual grassy ascent to an empty Foel Fras summit (46 minutes from the car park). The descent is very rapid, although at the base of the grassy descent from Fras I heard my car key fly out from my supposedly sealed inner pocket. I have always had nightmares about this happening. It was simultaneously unlucky (because the pocket was zipped, it must have found a crevice) and unbelievably lucky (I only heard it because it struck one of the very few stones in the northern Carneddau, the new flags across the bogs below Drum). Searching for it cost me a decent descent time, but I still made the car park in 29 minutes from the summit of Fras. No dotterel: I don't know how many years I have looked for them up here at this time of year, a lot.

No comments: