Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Glyderau loop

Peaks: Glyder Fawr, Glyder Fach, Tryfan
Area: Glyderau, Eryri
After last night's superb clarity of light, a perfect morning dawned so I headed up some old favourites, choosing the most direct up Glyder Fawr via the west side of Idwal. I was a little tired after last night's race, but kept a steady pace ticking over below Twll Ddu and up the steep scree to Glyder Fawr. Around 44 minutes to the top from Idwal, a little over 50 from the Cottage. Perfect views in all directions - the view to the Snowdon Horseshoe from Glyder Fawr has always been one of my favourites. It was still early, and I'd beaten the crowds up here so had the ridge to Fach to myself in wonderful weather. I skirted Castell y Gwynt then switched to the north side and plummeted straight down to the Fach screes. These are particularly steep at the top and rather arduous throughout. A few more people around by the time I got to Bwlch Tryfan, from where I took a fairly direct line to the summit. For dessert, I took the direct descent to the road, down the Western Gully and then down the direct ascent I took for the first time earlier this year: this took me 34 minutes to get up in February, but a rather less impressive 16 to get down. I bruised my right buttock at one point - it is all a very steep blend of grass and scree and doesn't really ease until you are virtually back at the road. 

No comments: