Saturday, April 23, 2022

Heslington parkrun

'Race': Heslington parkrun (York)
Time/Position: 17.53 (2nd from 175 [1st V50])
A potentially fast course, five laps of a newish cycle track in the very impressive sports village right next to the university campus we were visiting. It was quite windy, however, and the other issue with five laps on a parkrun is that it gets a bit crowded when trying to overtake! That said, in the spirit of the event (not races, after all), I just kept a decent quick pace ticking over. I was well off the young lad in front, and gradually worked up the field with my usual unspectacular consistency. Surprisingly, I also took the V50 course record by a few short seconds. The event is fairly well established, so this was a surprise. I have taken age group course records on some of our local parkruns in the past but they have never lasted more than a few weeks! As a result of all the weaving and overtaking, I covered 5.1k, so the 3.30/km pace recorded is not too bad for me at present.

No comments: