Monday, March 15, 2010

Bryn Alyn rock and run

Crag: Pot Hole Quarry
Routes: Grizzly (VS 4c:sh), The Watzmann (VS 4c:sh), Selva variant (VS 4c:sh)
The winter conditions in Snowdonia seem to be on their way out now, although I suppose there is always the chance of a late freeze. It's been a remarkable three months: beginning (I like to think) with the heavy snow flurry as we descended from Aran Benllyn on December 17, and ending last week with me sunbathing on the Gribin after the wonderful morning in Cwm Cneifion (21 routes and 10 trips later!). A sharp contrast today: I took a short break from hours in front of the computer with a trip to Llanferres. Roadworks meant a detour to the crag, wading thigh-deep through the Alyn at one point! Intermittant drizzle, so just had a half hour climbing session trying to build finger strength by avoiding the big holds as I shunted these routes - a tactic that was only partially successful. A big Mancunian youth group arrived, effectively forcing me to leave immediately for a run up 'the Beast' to Bryn Alyn, then along the race route to the Eryrys road and back via Big Covert.

No comments: