Saturday, March 27, 2010

Llangynhafal Loop

Race: Llangynhafal Loop fell race (4.75m/1750ft)
Time/Position: 46:07 (12th from 108)

The last (and only) time I turned out for this race was in 2007, when it formed part of the British championships and therefore attracted an elite field. The course has changed since then to become considerably harder, with a very nasty sting in the tail. It starts very quickly, along the contouring path south to Nant y Ne. It then climbs the valley to the screes of Stoney Gully, the undisputed king of Clwydian climbs! Always a desperate slog, and I certainly felt yesterday's outing in my legs as I laboured up the scree to the top of Famau. From here, great sunny running along the ridge leads over Moel Dywyll to the fast descent down to the valley above the village. The final climb heads back up brutally steep heathery slopes to the top of the western spur of Dywyll. I was gaining some ground here, but infuriatingly took the wrong path as I started the final descent. I realised the error quickly, and didn't lose any places, but completely blew the chance to catch up with the group of 3 runners in front on the superb grassy downhill sprint to the finish. Average performance, if that, but a very fine event with the usual nice atmosphere.

No comments: