Saturday, March 20, 2010

Ras yr Aran

Race: Ras yr Aran/Aran fell race (10.5m/2500ft)
Peaks: Aran Fawddwy
Time/Position: 1:51:17 (13th from 87)

Great to get back on a proper full-on fell race, after all the short road races over winter. I was worried this would be shortened, as it was when I last did it in 2008. But in the event the weather wasn't too bad - just light drizzle, low cloud and windy on the ridge. I deliberately took it nice and easy throughout, as I knew I didn't really have it in my legs after spending several months trying to improve my road speed. As a result, I found the race hugely enjoyable. Trotted up from Llanuwchllyn to the first check on Moel Ffenigl, then into the mist at the steep haul up Benllyn, before enjoying great, wild running along the lengthy ridge to Aran Fawddwy. Some big snowdrifts and rocky sections keep this section interesting, although nav remains simple throughout. I made up some ground on a group of runners in front, although Jez and Simon remained some way ahead, and I kept my place reasonably well on the descent - which was right into the teeth of the wind with Llyn Tegid below as we emerged from the mist. Lovely to be able to enjoy a race for once, rather than being on the limit the whole time!

No comments: