Friday, July 02, 2021

Sgurr Ghiubhsachain ride and scramble

Peaks: Sgurr Ghiubhsachain
Area: Lochaber, Scotland
A later start than usual, reflecting the fact that I was now in a hotel! I felt a semi-rest day would be wise in advance of my day on Rum tomorrow, and this filled the bill quite nicely. After a good breakfast at the Marine in Mallaig, I drove to Callop on the other side of Glenfinnan. It also seemed wise to choose an outing where my bike would be a help and allow for a restful day - this was perfect, as the mountain is a fair way from the road but seemed to offer 6k or so of gentle riding, so I pootled off along the gravel track which heads towards Loch Shiel. It passed the turning point of the marked trail we had done as a family a month ago, and then headed along the shores of the loch to Gubseachan. The weather was stunning, perhaps the best yet: deep blue skies and warm sunshine. Sgurr Ghiubhsachain begins to come into view - not as impressive as it looks from Glenfinnan (it is the most eye-catching feature of the famous view down Loch Shiel from the monument) but still a superbly aesthetic peak with its soaring NNE ridge and classical profile. I parked at the fish farm a few km down the lake shore and then set off up the valley with Sgor nan Cearc to the east. Quite quickly, I left the valley base and tried to join the striking NNE ridge as soon as possible. This was steep but I gained it fairly easily and really enjoyed picking out the limited scrambling on the little outcrops that dot the ridge. I have seen this described as Grade III but in reality it is all very variable and entirely escapeable. Views were superb, back over the lake to Beinn Odhar Beag, up to the viaduct and Tuesday's peaks, with the pyramidal Ghubhsachain dominant ahead. The ridge is far longer than it looks, and longer than expected. It rises in perhaps three distinct tiers separated by flatter sections - only a tiny semblance of a path but all brilliant in beautiful weather. After a false top I gained the summit with views over the whole of Lochaber. Then I cut straight down to the untravelled valley which gave a boggy, tussocky and pathless route back to the lakeside and bike. A pleasant pootle back to Callop.

No comments: