Saturday, July 17, 2021

Welsh 1000m peaks

Race: Ras Copaon 1000m Cymru (32k/8000ft)
Peaks: Yr Aryg, Carnedd Llewellyn, Carnedd Dafydd, Glyder Fawr, Carnedd Ugain, Yr Wyddfa
Time/Position: 6.38 (67th from 170)
A staggering 1 hour, 53 minutes slower than the last time I did this race ten years ago, and a similar experience to last week at Wasdale, in that this was all pretty disastrous. There were two differences today, however. First is that I felt OK for the first half to Ogwen (whereas I felt bad from the start last week). Second, however, was that my subsequent implosion was even more devastating. It was always going to be a struggle under cloudless skies, very hot at times, but initially the jog out of Aber and up above the Falls went well. I struggled a bit on the climb to the plateau, but its very steep and pathless of course. Above this, I felt OK for the trot below Bera Mawr and up to Yr Aryg, taking good lines throughout. I crested Llewellyn in 1.40 or so and there was a welcome breeze across to Dafydd. Superb clarity of light, no haze at all, so fantastic views throughout, unusually clear for the time of year. The steep descent down to Bodesi from the ridge went reasonably well too. I took on plenty of fluid at the checkpoint and then trotted along an absolutely rammed Ogwen before turning off for the Gribin. This is always the crux of the race, a steep climb after a very long descent - but today it was absolutely devastating, I blew completely initially before taking a gel and regaining a little strength. It was desperately hot, and everybody was struggling, I just about managed to maintain a steady but very slow pace up to the scrambling section. The trudge over the Glyders and then the long descent to PyP was hard and slow, and for the first time ever on any sort of race I just had to stop and sit and take on fluid and food at PyP. The less said about the trudge up the Pyg track the better, a desperate struggle past thousands of the stilletto heel brigade - Glaslyn resembled Copacabana with dozens of people plunging in to its icy waters. A tiny trickle of water just before the zigzags got me up Carnedd Ugain and across to Yr Wyddfa. But again I was actually stopping completely at various points, which I have never done before in 600 races. This was my 4th time at the race, spread over 13 years. I finished 8th in 2009 and ran 4.45 in 2012, which seems unbelievable to me at present. A dreadful dehydrated descent back to Llanberis completed a rather painful day.

No comments: