Saturday, July 10, 2021

Wasdale Horseshoe

Race: Wasdale Horseshoe fell race (33k/2800m/AL)
Peaks: Illgill Head, Whin Rigg, Seatallan, Pillar, Great Gable, Scafell Pike 
Time/Position: 6.16.25 (92nd from 170)
I felt this to be the hardest fell race of all when I did it in 2016, although the weather was dreadful that year - howling gales, torrential rain, cold constant clag - which obviously made it even tougher. This morning, I found myself feeling tired even on Whin Rigg, so I knew I was in for quite a battering. I haven't felt right since returning from Scotland, and this was a bit of a nightmare as a result - I even contrived to be eight minutes slower than 2016, despite vastly better conditions today. It is a classic circuit, which just gets progressively harder after a fairly gentle opening climb up Illgill Head and Whin Rigg to make a full circuit of Wastwater, then a very steep descent to some respite through Greendale. A drink from Jos Naylor, then comes the long and very hot (today) climb up Seatallan. The humidity was clearly going to be a problem and I found eating difficult today, but the Seatallan climb wasn't too bad. After this, I remember very hard nav in 2016 when I had to find the best route to Pillar in thick clag and driving rain. Today, no such issues, just fatigue. A contouring route leads across to the col below Red Pike, lengthy and tiring. What makes this such a hard race, however, is the fact that it doesn't really start until you get to Pillar, well over half way in terms of distance. This is where the terrain becomes harder. After my brief recovery, I was feeling tired again and really struggling on the descents in particular. From Pillar down to the Black Sail Pass was tough, and then came the day's lowpoint, the contouring path below Kirk Fell. This has another useful beck so at least I could rehydrate and I ate a little, but not enough. The contouring path leads to the very steep climb up Great Gable into thick mist. I remembered the next section as particularly challenging in 2016, with the hard descent off Gable to Styhead Tarn and then the complexity of the terrain over to Esk Hause. In mist, this is much easier as the multiplicity of paths is far less confusing. However, the final section - over Scafell Pike - which I remembered as fairly relaxed last time, was really hard today. This entire section from Pillar is what makes Wasdale so hard - it just gets harder and more awkward throughout. A short-cut up the Pike saw me having to take a bearing to get back on track, losing more ground in the mist, and then my energy levels really crashed for the descent from the Pike. This turned into a bit of a nightmare, as the nav to gain the little path to Lingmell col is not obvious in mist (which was still thick at this point, the cloudbase had dropped considerably). Not pleasant, an embarrassing performance, but the race is such a classic that I felt it worth continuing if only to say I'd done it twice. I've been coming to Wasdale since 1988, so that was also a factor: it is a special place with a lot of memories.

No comments: