Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Bronwen max

Peaks: Cadair Bronwen, Tomle, Foel Wen, Mynydd Tarw, Rhos
Area: Berwyn
Always looking for excuses to explore the tranquil far end of the Ceiriog valley, this vague plan to maximise Cadair Bronwen had been in my mind for a while. It worked perfectly, on another very hot day. I left Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog at lunchtime and headed up the very long road to the top of the Wayfarer's Pass (Nant Rhyd Wilym). This is tarmac initially, right up to the last lonely farm at Swch Cae Rhiw where the route becomes a rough gravel track leading to the famous pass. The lower valley is exquisite, particularly in this weather, low hills, oak woodland, the infant Ceiriog river, all shimmering in the sunshine. Higher up is bare moorland but I felt good, much better than I have done recently, and reached the pass in an hour. From here, a trudge across moorland with two rises over subsidiary hills, leads to Cadair Bronwen. We are approaching drought status, so these hills are far less boggy than they usually are. Some haze rendered views over Eryri hazy from the top of Bronwen where I took a break (it was so hot I actually carried some water!). Then down the familiar descent to the contouring path of Ffordd Gam Elin and up to Bwlch Maen Gwynedd itself, another ancient crossing point. Instead of descending to Cwm Maen Gwynedd, I took advantage of the tinder dry conditions and trotted along the ridge - over Tomle, Foel Wen and Mynydd Tarw - reversing the standard horseshoe last done with Morgan in January. I then extended the ridge to the final peak of Rhos down tiny micro-paths before picking up unexpectedly good tracks curving round to the east below Maen Gwyn back to the village. A superb route, thoroughly enjoyable, and although I was moving fairly slowly I felt good throughout: 21k+/800m.

No comments: