Thursday, June 08, 2023

Nantlle ridge/Slate Trail

Peaks: Y Garn, Mynydd Drws y Coed, Trum y Ddysgl, Mynydd Tal y Mignedd
Area: Nantlle, Eryri
Yet more stunning weather: weeks without rain or humidity, and a lovely trip over the best bit of the Nantlle ridge, which I had to myself. From the Rhyd Ddu car park, I took the standard, logical route up Y Garn - the way I remember the race going many years ago, unlike my recent running of the midweek Garn race which instead clambered up trackless terrain further east for no obvious reason! From bottom to top took just under 25 minutes: it's a steep slog but very possibly the fastest way up any Snowdonian peak. From the top, the world is your oyster - great views of Yr Wyddfa and across to Craig y Bere on Mynydd Mawr, where I've done a few obscure routes. Below, the NE ridge, another obscure but memorable climb which I have done. Ahead, one of Snowdonia's best views - the ridge to the fang of Mynydd Drws y Coed then across to Trum y Ddysgl - all shimmering and pristine in the continuing wonderful weather. It was cool, almost cold, but stunningly clear. I trotted along the ridgeline, intending to do a double traverse, but felt a bit tired by Tal y Mignedd so decided to take the superbly runnable grassy ridge from the obelisk (imagine building a jubilee obelisk above Nantlle now!). From the east end of the Mignedd lake, I trotted past the campsite to eventually pick up the long, winding section of Llwybr Llechi/Slate Trail which ultimately leads back to Rhyd Ddu, but only after a long westward climb over boggy terrain (even after weeks of drought) to gain forestry then tracks from Mynydd Mawr back to the village: around 2 hours (14k+/1250m) at a reasonable clip.

No comments: