Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Wobbler

Race: Robbie Webster's Wobbler (Frodsham Hills)
Time/Position: 43.33 (13th from 106)
At last, a pleasing 'fell race' performance, even if this is hardly typical of the breed - more like an extended cross-country course with its multiple intense short climbs and fast descents. Possibly the 5th time I've done it, and this is more or less equal with my best for the new course. Last year was characterised by torrential rain (and snapped elastic on my shorts) but this year conditions were perfect - dry and not too humid. I deliberately held off for the first section, which loops back to the monument via a steep climb, and then concentrated on trying to catch Neil who was well ahead at this point. After the very familiar haul down Jacobs Ladder and alongside the golf course, I did catch him and we stayed together for the grassy climb back up to Joe's Walk. This was all pretty full on, and I was close to my current limit, but never went beyond it and caught a couple more fast starters here too. I was really pleased to be able to keep the pace ticking over and to be close (or matching) previous times rather than recording another 'personal worst'.

No comments: